Product Support Engineer – Body Control Systems
This role is at a key connection point between the body control system related needs of the Asia Pacific market base and the development and production teams in Silicon Valley, California.
Diagnostic related objectives:
Empower aftersales organizations to be able to more quickly and effectively diagnose when the product is not functioning properly to facilitate appropriate repair or service actions. This is done through enhanced onboard or off-board diagnostic methodologies including runtime firmware, server data analysis, or troubleshooting procedures.
Systems related objectives:
Assist in the specification and design of Tesla’s body control system with the goals of high reliability, efficiency, safety, while minimizing costs. This role pays special attention to the Asia Pacific market, and system improvements through an accurate understanding of Asia Pacific driving conditions, customer experience issues and product deficiencies. This is achieved in this role by engaging with EV standards and related third parties, and bringing visibility of market directions to development teams.
- Debug systems and perform diagnostics on field failures remotely and directly in the field
- Coordinate with design and development teams to perform further root cause analysis with component owners where necessary
- Work with quality and manufacturing teams to ensure new issues are fully investigated and that countermeasures are in place
- Regular collaboration with worldwide service teams to ensure consistent and stable global service operations
- Define requirements for on-board diagnostic methodologies for use in the aftersales world and work with the firmware development team to implement
- Develop and document troubleshooting and remote diagnosis techniques with service technicians, technical support specialists and regional technical specialists
- Be the subject matter expert liaison between the Service Engineering team and the body control system design, quality, and manufacturing teams by communicating the latest product changes and information to the rest of the team.
- Some occasional travel to perform onsite root cause analysis, repair and training
- Availability for occasional off-hours calls and work
- Perform other related duties as assigned, based on the business need
- Review existing and proposed EV standards and assess their impact on current or future Tesla products
- Bring visibility to development teams by summarizing and distilling existing standards and market direction. Make proposals to engineering design and department heads on the direction Tesla should take
- Engage with standards committees to represent and drive Tesla’s interests
- Review user experience issues and deficiencies, and escalate those to development teams that can be addressed by firmware or hardware improvements and/or revised functional specifications
- Collaborate tightly with Tesla’s hardware and software teams to ensure efficient and economical implementation and validation of new features, components, and systems
- Identify improvements for serviceability of the product for the purpose of reducing costs
Skills and Qualifications:
Bachelor, Master or PhD of Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or similar.
Experiences with complex electromechanical systems, preferably doors, seats, instruments, CAN or similar protocol analysis.
Working knowledge in computer science (PERL, SQL, python, C++, MATLAB) and mechatronic fields.
Able to read and interpret mechanical drawings and electrical schematics, preferably CAD systems such as CATIA.
- C (Programming Language)
- Perl Programming
- Product Development
- Root Cause Analysis
- User Experience Design