- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Word
- Perl Programming
- Product Development
- Root Cause Analysis
- Technical Support
Field service engineer
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable transportation and electricity consumption by designing and manufacturing electric vehicles and energy storage systems. Based in California, Tesla employs more than 13,000 people across four continents, and manufactures cars at our factory in Fremont, California. We are currently constructing the Gigafactory–the world’s largest lithium ion battery factory–in Sparks, Nevada, and have already begun producing Tesla Energy battery storage products.
Tesla Motors currently produces two premium EVs–Model S and Model X–engineered from the ground up to be the world’s best car and SUV, respectively. Model S received Motor Trend’s prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, and achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA. The recently released Model X includes the first ever falcon wing doors, as well as Tesla’s award-winning electric all-wheel drive powertrain. Both vehicles come with free road trip access to more than 400 Tesla Supercharger stations—the world’s fastest EV charging technology. Model 3, our third generation EV, is currently under development.
Tesla produces the Powerwall, a residential battery pack, as well as commercial and utility-grade Powerpack storage systems designed to help reduce electricity costs, smooth consumption and create a more resilient electricity grid.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from across the world for any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone; you must have a genuine passion for producing the best vehicles in the world. Without passion, you will find what we’re trying to do too difficult.
The Tesla Infrastructure team is looking to hire a Field Service Engineer in the Hong Kong region, to provide diagnostic support during the installation and servicing of our Supercharger and energy storage products. This person will be to travel to sites as needed to perform maintenance, troubleshooting and repair issues at industrial facilities with cutting edge Tesla products that may be under construction or is already existing; knowledge of, and comfort with these types of facilities is a must. This person will also be responsible for developing the knowledge base to be used by both internal and external parties to troubleshoot issues. This person must have an engineering mind with a very hands on approach and a great customer and contractor interface. The work will require travel, sometimes on short notice, and may require extended trips; a get-it-done mentality for all of the situations is expected.
· Primary interface of our Network Operations Centers to authorized contractors who perform maintenance on Tesla Energy’s stationary storage products.
· Oversee commissioning, service, testing, and verification actions performed by our service provider network, troubleshooting devices as well as entire industrial systems (Powerpacks / Superchargers). This will include guiding the work of construction trades such as electricians and professional disciplines such as engineers.
· Ensure service providers have access to the required hardware.
· Debug systems and perform remote diagnostics on field failures by reviewing data logged by energy storage devices.
· Develop processes and documentation for standard service actions.
· Recognize trends and patterns in field failures and feedback to the development team to drive future designs.
· Provide technical support in order to minimize system downtime, through day to day coverage of internationally distributed service cases.
· Work with engineering and manufacturing teams to ensure new issues are fully investigated and that countermeasures are in place.
· Regular collaboration with worldwide service teams to ensure consistent and stable global service operations.
· Continued development of the diagnostics knowledge base to be used for future troubleshooting.
· Travel to perform onsite root cause analysis.
· Availability for off-hours calls and work.
· BS degree in ME, EE, CS, Mechatro nics or or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability. .
· Minimum 2+ years’ experience as development, diagnostics or field support engineer. Additional experience in construction trades preferred.
· Strong ability to work and communicate effectively with external service providers.
· Strong ability to work and communicate effectively with her/ his team and peers within the engineering organization.
· Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and another European language. Additional European languages a plus.
· Strong ability to be self-directed and work independently, with strong organization and documentation skills.
· Exceptional capacity for managing simultaneous activities and challenges.
· Strong analytical problem solving skills and hands-on experience with hardware, tools, instruments, CAN or similar protocol analysis.
· Skilled with common workplace and database software (MS Word, Excel, Visio, Access, etc).
· Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings and electrical schematics.
· Working knowledge in computer science (PERL, SQL, python, C++, MATLAB) and mechatronic fields.
· Experience with environmental and safety requirements a plus.
· Experience in the energy industry preferred.