- Vendor Management
Regional Head of Transactions, Corporate Services
Location: Non-Japan Asia-Hong Kong
The Regional Head of Transactions is responsible for managing all corporate real estate transactions and transaction-related activity in the Asia and Japan regions, with execution delivered through a combination of internal and external resources and continuous interaction with regional senior management. The position requires a thorough understanding of transaction management, local real estate market practices, portfolio and locational strategy, lease administration and estate management. These need to be combined with organizational, communication, leadership, presentation and vendor management skills to effectively and efficiently manage the Firm’s regional real estate portfolio. This position reports to the Global Head of Transactions and Portfolio Management based in New York.
Primary Functional Roles & Responsibilities:
• Engage and advise global and regional senior management on real estate issues and opportunities in the region.
• Supervise and guide direct reports to execute their tasks to highest level, and mentor their growth as future leaders.
• Along with other senior-level team members, meet regularly with senior regional management to review transaction, planning and project activity.
• Be the primary daily point-of-contact with senior regional management for all transaction-related activity, and with global management when appropriate.
• Execute all approved transaction strategies effectively and efficiently.
• Negotiate for and achieve highly competitive terms and conditions including lowest possible cost structures and broadest possible optionality for long-term flexibility.
• Manage lease critical dates to mitigate risk and maximize flexibility to the portfolio.
• Work with Corporate Services colleagues (Real Estate Strategy, Corporate Workplace, Property Services, Engineering, Legal, etc.) and internal business unit clients to understand detailed space needs, and translate these needs into clearly defined requirements with which to drive transactions.
• Provide necessary expertise and guidance to the Real Estate Strategy team members in assisting them develop strategic plans for the region and drive innovative solutions to meeting the firm’s space requirements.
• Create opportunities to optimize the firm’s space footprint and reduce occupancy costs by coupling portfolio and market knowledge with an understanding of the firm’s space needs, all in a timely manner to drive the consensus to execute.
• Provide estate management throughout the regional portfolio
• Collaborate with Business Intelligence colleagues to maintain 5-year portfolio planning and P&L cost reporting, and use this reporting for continued focus on reducing both the Firm’s regional space footprint and occupancy cost.
• Working with Finance and other team members, drive the internal Real Estate Approval Documentation process (READ) for all transactions with and without capital spending.
• Act as the subject matter expert on real estate, transactions and estate management, supporting and leading internal and third party resources throughout the region.
• Liaise with internal functional groups, both senior and mid-level, who are engaged in activities which affect the real estate portfolio and workplace (Technology, Human Resources, etc.), and with external third parties such as landlords, service providers, etc.
• Actively lead the local broker interviewing and selection process by identifying strengths, weaknesses and risks.
• Manage the internal and external transaction team throughout the strategy, transaction and estate management process as they interact with landlords and other parties.
• Assist the Lease Administration team who manages the lease database, controls payables and audits third party books and records.
• Maintain oversight for all ‘business as usual’ related estate management activity i.e. rent reviews, rate reviews, incentives etc.
• Effectively manage external portfolio level and transactional level vendors to optimize delivery and manage cost and risk.
Cross-Functional Roles & Responsibilities:
• Work with Real Estate Strategy and Corporate Workplace to understand client space demand and needs.
• View transactions within the context of the larger portfolio and departmental-led goals and drivers.
• Manage transaction events throughout the lifecycle including capital project work and dilapidations.
• Coordinate with Corporate Services stakeholders when translating the real estate pipeline into executable transactions.
• Provide cross-functional skills that promote collaboration across silos and effectively achieve strategy, transaction life cycle and estate management optimization
QualificationsSkills & Qualifications:
• Thorough understanding of the real estate strategy and the transaction lifecycle
• Demonstrated experience in strategy, transaction management, negotiation skills, client and vendor management
• Ability to foster and develop client and vendor relationships
• Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills
• Strong team and individual mentoring skills
• Broad understanding of global real estate trends, best practices and vendor marketplace
• Strong financial/analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to offer innovative options
• Full understanding of financial impact of real estate decisions from both profit & loss and cash viewpoints
• Exceptional organizational skills, follow-up and time-management skills
• Forward thinking, able to visualize and execute on ideas, strategically-minded with ability to execute tactically