- Fixed Income
- Investment Management
- Legal Advice
- OTC Structured Products
- Wealth Management
Legal HK, Private Wealth Management Coverage Lawyer, Vice President
Location: Non-Japan Asia-Hong Kong-Hong Kong-Hong Kong
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within Legal and Compliance provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the firm’s invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the firm’s businesses.
Background on the Position
We are looking to hire a lawyer at the Vice President level to provide internal client coverage for Private Wealth Management (PWM) within Asia Pacific, focusing on the implementation of regulatory projects driven primarily by legal and regulatory requirements in Hong Kong, Singapore and the UK.
Reporting directly to the Head of Legal for PWM Asia, we are looking for candidates with enthusiasm and strong initiative, who can manage a diverse and complex workload meeting tight deadlines with responsibility for the following:
- Working with PWM management, Compliance and other stakeholders in the review of PWM selling processes, policies and controls and advising various stakeholders on PWM related legal and regulatory issues;
- Advising senior PWM management on regulatory changes, industry initiatives and policy developments relevant to the PWM business;
- Providing legal advisory and support to PWM investment professionals on all aspects of the client relationship, negotiation of PWM account documentation, investment restrictions and transaction-specific questions;
- Working with other members of the PWM Legal team to identify and advise on regulatory and franchise risks related to product offerings to PWM clients, including equities, fixed income, funds (including alternatives), structured products and OTC derivatives;
- Collaborating with other legal coverage areas on areas including but not limited to client complaints, sales and trading litigation issues, and data privacy issues;
- Advising on cross border regulatory issues; and
- Proactively identify material legal and regulatory risks in the business. Influence stakeholders to improve the management of legal and regulatory risk.
- Lawyer with minimum 5-6 years post qualification experience
- In-house legal advisory and coverage experience in private wealth management / private banking with a leading investment bank or private bank, or non-contentious regulatory experience from a well-regarded private practice
- Solid drafting and negotiation skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, especially with business people
- Good commercial judgement enabling the provision of sound advice in difficult areas of law and regulations
- Strong English communication skills necessary. Fluency in Chinese (verbal and written Cantonese and Mandarin) with the ability to read in simplified and traditional Chinese an advantage
|Career Level||Intermediate (3-6 years)|
|Language||English, Cantonese, Mandarin (Putonghua)|