- Customer Service
- Due Diligence
- Internal Audit
- Microsoft Access
- Project Management
- Property Management
Senior Manager, Internal Investigations, Asia Pacific (Based in Singapore)
Location: CHN-China-Hong Kong-Asia/Pacif/Australia Region
The Department of Investigations is a sub group of the Global Safety & Security (GS&S) organization. This department’s mission places a strong emphasis on mitigating financial, identify theft and economic crime. The department performs a wide range of investigations into all allegations of serious misconduct, threats and criminal activity committed by associates, guests and others, in order to ensure and safeguard the assets and protect the reputation of the Marriott International (MI).
In this role, he/she will manage or directly provide specific investigative services, projects and information with the intent of reducing company losses as
well as to successfully defend legal actions regarding the investigation and disciplinary action of associates and/or customers or invitees.
- Undercover Investigations: Manage outside vendors. Influence internal management regarding employment actions that are the result of theft, drug abuse, fraud or serious misconduct. Provide director on-site closure of investigations to a legally defendable conclusion working within legal guidelines and Marriott’s Guarantee of Fair Treatment policy.
- Video Surveillance Investigations: Manage or directly deliver the technical, legal and communication requirements of conducting on-property covert electronic video surveillance. Monitor and evaluate federal and state legislation concerning the use of electronic monitoring in the workplace. Ensure that the criteria of “reasonable expectation of privacy” are adhered to.
- Information/Due Diligence Investigations: Directly access and manage the process and dissemination of “publicly held” information in federal, state, municipal and private repositories for the purposes of due diligence analysis and pre/post-employment screening. Directly serve as a technical resource to MI on Marriott policy concerning the use of information-based investigations, State and Federal Fair Credit Reporting Acts, and Constitution and Statutory Protections of Workplace Privacy.
A. On-Site Investigations: Provide direct on-site unit assistance for property specific investigations. Gather and coordinate information. Provide specific technical expertise in the delivery of investigative interviews in compliance of civil law.
B. Special Investigations: Respond to and directly support MI requests for specialized investigative direction. Implement and manage (to a legally defendable conclusion) all internal investigations which are a result of theft, fraud, and drug abuse. Directly manage the course of all investigations in a manner that is legally defendable. Review (with a labor attorney) all company violations which surface during an investigation to allow property management to make fair, balanced and legal disciplinary decisions. Conduct post investigative interviews with associates identified as violating company policies.
F. Intelligence Gathering: On request, provide searches via the internet and subscription databases on controversial groups, protests, and information of groups, companies or persons that are targeting the company.
G. Fraud Investigations: Respond to all direct MI requests involving credit card, check counterfeiting and system or computer fraud. Conduct on-going research in this field. Build effective communication networks with local law enforcement agencies as well as federal agencies that handle financial and economic crime. Continuously enhance fraud expertise and knowledge in the field via on-going education. Provide direct counsel to MI units on effective ways to conduct the investigation. Manage investigations and act as a liaison between property, law enforcement agencies, Finance Group, Human Resources, Internal Audit, Law Department, and related regional managers as identified by the MI.
H. Court Appearances: Schedule, organize and/or attend Company prosecution appearances in court on behalf of the company.
A. Provide professional consultation for all other Marriott SBU’s upon request.
A. Maintain and provide effective communications during all investigations with Regional Vice Presidents of Human Resources (RVPHR’s), Regional Directors of Human Resources (RDHR’s), Regional Associate Relations Managers, HR Field Services Team management, Attorneys from Corporate, Legal and Labor Law Departments, Internal Audit, Business leaders, unit General Managers, and other regional managers as defined by the MI SBU.
B. Design, develop and create graphic presentations of department initiatives and internal field service evaluating processes.
C. Oversight for monthly Executive Summary publication.
Candidate Attributes - Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
- Demonstrated investigative development skills.
- In-depth knowledge of all Internal Investigations services.
- Effective time management skills.
- Effective listening skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated mastery of problem solving methodology for decision making.
- Demonstrated follow-up and customer service skills.
- Personal integrity with a high regard to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to persuade and influence others, including those at senior organizational levels.
- Solid knowledge of local employment law.
- Understanding of the components of criminal and civil law.
- Ability to foster good working relationships with RDHR’s, HR Service Teams, Corporate Legal and Labor Departments and Corporate Human Resources Department.
- B.S. degree and/or relevant experience.
- At least 5 years of progressive Investigations experience.
- Experienced investigative interview skills within local employment law requirements.
- Experienced undercover investigation/project management skills.
- Comparable industry experience highly desirable.
- Demonstrated hotel operations/management experience strongly preferred.