Senior Manager, Fire Protection & Life Safety (Asia Pacific) (Integration)
Location: CHN-China-Hong Kong-Asia/Pacif/Australia Region
As a member of Asia Pacific (AP) Fire Protection & Life Safety (FLS), is responsible for insuring compliance of fire protection standards for all Lodging Brands and products in AP, including new builds, conversions/acquisitions, re-positioning, and renovations in order to provide a superior level of life safety and protection to our guests, associates, and assets from the perils of fire, natural disasters, and terrorism. Provide oversight and leadership to direct reports as they work toward insuring compliance. Provide project management and life safety expertise to ensure compliance with the standards through the design and construction of new and converting hotels.
- Number of Direct Reports – 1-2
- Titles of Direct Reports – Fire Protection Specialist and Fire Protection Engineers
- Number of FTEs – approx. 1
- Budget Responsibilities – yes
Expected Contributions and Responsibilities
- Responsible for delivery of high quality engineering support services to business units within Global Design, Lodging, Development, Operations, Brand, Lodging Engineering, Risk Management, Ownership Franchise Services and various other Marriott businesses.
- Act as a liaison to insurance companies, code officials, architects, owners, consultants.
- Responsible for recruiting, coaching, training and developing staff to perform their defined duties. Provide performance feedback and evaluation, and career development to direct reports.
- Make decisions for complex fire protection and life safety issues and when necessary, refer AP FLS Director for support.
- Direct adaptations and modifications throughout design process and installation of systems.
- Discuss with supervisor and team members fire protection and life safety issues or problems that have high financial impact.
- Actively listens and asks questions of customers to assess the level of satisfaction with the service being provided and to prevent problems from occurring. Regularly monitor customer satisfaction and take personal responsibility to ensure it. Follow through with customer inquiries, requests, and complaints in a timely fashion.
- Develop and maintain independent relationships with customers; anticipate needs of customers; negotiate work deliverables and timing for small initiatives.
- Communicate orally and in writing with customers.
- Work efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision.
- Assist in the building of team core values of integrity, accountability, respect, and value.
- Remain current with emerging technologies, national codes and best methods for automatic sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, life safety, and smoke control.
Specific Expected Contributions
- Help manage (owned, managed, and franchised) new build and conversion projects in AP region.
- Manage internal and external resources for projects.
- Supervise a staff of fire protection engineers and technicians.
- Conduct performance evaluations (LPP) for direct reports.
- Review and approve expense reports for direct reports.
- Routinely interacts with franchisees, building owners, clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others.
- Lead project meeting and makes presentations relating to projects.
- Lead internal teams to complete work.
- Verify completion of projects.
- Communicate on a regular basis with the AP FLS Director.
- Perform design reviews for egress, building construction, automatic sprinkler, fire alarm, and mechanical smoke control systems to ensure compliance of Marriott standards, system performance, equipment selection, constructability, maintainability, building code conformance, and sequencing.
- Provide construction support services including fire protection system project control functions (change-order analysis and schedule impacts), cost reduction analysis, submittal reviews, mid-construction site review and report, transition planning (construction to operations), and acceptance testing.
- Tracks project schedules and construction documents.
- Basic to working knowledge of construction means and methods, facilities operations, and contracting.
- Strong problem solving capabilities; ability to search beyond traditional boundaries.
- Extensive writing skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills which must include ability to speak in public, negotiate, explain fire protection concepts, and enforce standards while strengthening relationships, occasionally under pressure.
- Ability to develop new processes to increase effectiveness and efficiencies.
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Good working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook.
- High degree of initiative, personal responsibility and integrity
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative work environment.
- Willingness to share knowledge openly and assist others as necessary.
- Willingness to travel extensively (approximately 50%).
Specific Candidate Profile
- BS, Fire Protection Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Fundamentals of Engineering or Professional Engineering license preferred.
- 5 yrs. minimum of fire department experience preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience in fire protection.
- Fluent in Mandarin (required).
This position is based in Hong Kong.
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Word
- Risk Management