Area Director of Engineering, East, Central & West China
Location: CHN-China-Hong Kong-Asia/Pacif/Australia Region
Directly reports to the Regional Engineer, with a dotted-line (functional) reporting relationship the respective Area Vice President. Is an engineering subject matter expert and liaison to the members of the respective area teams. Provides a high level of property maintenance knowledge. Position has overall responsibility for maintaining the buildings, grounds and physical plant with particular attention towards safety, security and asset protection. Accountable for managing the budget, capital expenditure projects, preventative maintenance, and energy conservation. Develops and implements strategies that will deliver products and services, which meet or exceed the needs and expectations of guests and associates while maximizing the financial performance. Responsible for maintaining standards and regulatory requirements. Able to manage and oversee activities as a third party preventative maintenance engineering leader for hotels under the respective areas.
- High Diploma in engineering; 10 years’ experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in Building and Construction, Engineering, Mechanics, or related major; 5 years’ experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
Managing Engineering Operations for Multiple Locations
- Manages multiple stakeholders and changing priorities; ability to manage an off property maintenance process
- Works with Area Team Leadership and regional engineering leadership team to determine how Engineering is performing against budget and highlights areas of concern to leadership.
- Provides direction and assistance for developing an engineering operating strategy that is aligned with the business strategy of assigned locations.
- Provides leadership and assistance establishing, implementing, and monitoring energy management plans and creating a culture of energy management to be instituted throughout area locations.
- Provides direction and assistance for the creation of annual energy management goals and game plans.
- Provide direction and recommendations to hotels in managing the physical plant at multiple locations including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment and electrical systems in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Initiates strategies for accomplishing objectives through team efforts at multiple locations
- Manages relationships to support service contracts to support location needs.
- Ensures engineering crew in all hotels has complete understanding of all procedures, equipment and alarms.
- Coaches and supports engineering teams to effectively manage controllable expenses (e.g., wages, heat, light and power, water consumption, tools and equipment, grounds keeping supplies, uniforms, vendors, service agreements, inventory, etc.).
- Oversees the usage and control of heat, light and power across area.
- Oversees execution of and provides consultation for long term preventative maintenance and 10 year asset protection plans for area locations.
- Provide direction and recommendation to resolves top line guest problems and complaints.
- Addresses potential areas of concern and proposing solutions to owners in a proactive manner.
- Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
- Review annual Capital Expenditure Plans (CEPs) and assesses needs for project manager support.
- Selects project managers for large CEP or renovations projects.
- Provides change leadership and success strategies as appropriate for general location and specific engineering-related inititiaves.
Maintaining Engineering Standards Across Assigned Area
- Ensures compliance with state, local and national regulations.
- Monitors and maintains life safety systems (e.g., fire fighting equipment, sprinkler systems, and alarm systems).
- Ensure properties PM’s and work orders are completed properly and in timely manner. Accurately tracked on property maintenance system.
- Ensures building and equipment licenses, permits and certifications are current for assigned locations.
- Ensures location/brand/operational policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensures inventory of assets at assigned locations are accurately assessed and reflected in Transcendent annually.
- Ensure all mechanical equipment is running at its highest level of efficiency and that a culture of energy management is instituted throughout every department.
- Ensures all purchasing is compliant with Marriott approved minority owned vendors.
- Provides direction and assistance for developing and managing against Engineering budget.
- Manages areas of operation to budget by reviewing operating statements, budget worksheets and payroll progress reports.
- Manages department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Participates in the development of department's capital expenditure goals; manages projects as needed.
- Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
- Prepares period end Profit and Loss critiques.
- Understands the impact of department's operation on the overall area team financial goals; educates staff on details as appropriate.
- Reviews and manages controllable expenses such as, heat, light, power, water consumption, tools and equipment, groundskeeping supplies, uniforms, vendors, service agreements, etc.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
- Provides leadership in developing training for associates in the realm of energy reduction and environmental stewardship.
- Provides engineering associates training opportunities and provides individualized direction for development.
- Ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
- Utilizes associate feedback and an “open door” policy to identify and address associate problems or concerns in a timely manner.
- Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team members.
- Resolves guest problems and complaints.
- Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
- Ensures that regular on-going communication takes place throughout the engineering operation to communicate daily operations activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Equipment Maintenance - Knowledge of routine and preventative maintenance of mechanical systems including timely management of the preventative maintenance process to protect an owner's assets.
- Equipment Selection — Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Troubleshooting — Determining causes of mechanical or technological operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Telecommunications — Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Purchasing and Materials Management - Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control.
- Building and Safety Codes - Knowledge of local and Federal building and safety codes.
- Emergency Systems - Knowledge of fire prevention, air quality, and emergency power systems. This includes the ability to operate, maintain, and inspect the property’s fire prevention equipment (e.g., sprinkler system, fire alarm), air quality equipment (e.g., carbon monoxide detectors), and emergency power system.
- Hazardous Materials and Chemicals - The ability to handle and store hazardous materials and chemicals. This includes knowledge of the safety precautions required for each chemical.
- HVAC/Refrigeration - Knowledge of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, equipment, including boilers, chillers, air handling units/controls, and refrigeration equipment. This includes the ability to inspect, repair, and maintain equipment, charge refrigeration systems, replace air filters, and clean coils.
- Indoor Air Quality Management - Knowledge of policies and procedures to ensure an effective indoor air quality process including the ability to recognize and eliminate biological contaminant sources and chemical contaminants.
- Pneumatic/Electronic Systems and Controls - Knowledge of pneumatic/electronic systems and controls in order to operate and maintain pneumatic/electronic systems and controls, as well as compressors.
- Energy - Knowledge of energy management and efficient operation of the building and associated systems including retro and continuous commissioning and demand side management. This also includes minimizing the carbon footprint and complying with applicable environmental codes.
- Safety and Personal Protective Equipment - Knowledge of the lock out tag out process and the personal protective equipment (PPE) safety process required (e.g., ear plugs, g
- Adobe Air
- Business Plans
- Capital Expenditure
- Contract Negotiation
- Corporate Strategy
- Inventory Management
- Plumbing & Drainage
- Talent Management