Senior Legal Counsel, General Account Investments
Location: HK-HongKong-HKG002-47/F., The Lee Gardens, 33 Hysan Avenue, Causeway Bay
The Legal function supports senior management and the Business by providing a full range of legal services necessary to enable them to discharge their responsibilities for overseeing and managing Manulife’s General Account Investments, including its Private Capital (Private Equity & Debt) business across the various offices throughout Asia.
Legal Counsel, General Account Investments, is accountable for providing appropriate legal support and operating in an efficient and effective manner in respect of the Private Capital business in Asia.
- Accountable for legal support for transactions (debt and equity) and review of other agreements entered into by the Business, including intra-group service level agreements, agreements with investment banks, brokers and dealers.
- Advise on licensing and regulatory issues associated with corporate entities and individuals across all relevant jurisdictions.
- Provide legal advice and support to the derivative trading desk, including review of related documentation.
- Work with life insurance legal colleagues on transactional deals and gain from them an understanding of insurance law issues as they relate to business transactions and help resolve them.
- Assist with on-going regulatory filings, disclosures and (limited) corporate secretarial work, including working closely with Compliance.
- Lead and responsible for legal due diligence as required to support any new Business initiatives.
- Submit reports on the Legal Department’s activities that may be required by Manulife’s management.
- Provide ad-hoc legal advice to Manulife, its directors, officers and employees.
- Manage legal risk exposures by ensuring compliance with all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Help implement best practices in the relevant Private Capital business operations within Asia.
- Legal degree from a recognized, top ranking law school
- Current Practicing Certificate or active license in good standing to practice law in at least one Asia jurisdiction
- Minimum 7 years+ PQE practicing law, preferably in major Asia jurisdictions
- Focus on Private Equity & Debt and M & A work, with knowledge of securities law, especially with respect to funds, financial services, investment management and/or listing work
- Exposure to asset and wealth management legal issues and documentation
- Exposure to derivative transactional documentation and legal issues Superior contract drafting and reviewing skills
- Ability to analyze complex legal problems without extensive supervision and to provide appropriate legal solutions
- Excellent customer focus, commitment to quality, cost containment, budget control, on-time delivery
- Able to balance multiple priorities and projects
- Proven relationship skills to foster collegial environment and inspire confidence of senior management / customers
- Fluent in English and another Asian language, preferably Chinese
Manulife is a leading Canada-based financial services group with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. Clients look to Manulife for strong, reliable, trustworthy and forward-thinking solutions for their most significant financial decisions. Our international network of employees, agents and distribution partners offers financial protection and wealth management products and services to millions of clients. We also provide asset management services to institutional customers. Funds under management by Manulife and its subsidiaries were approximately C$ 888 billion (US$663 billion) as at September 30, 2015. Our group of companies operates as Manulife in Canada and Asia and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK. Manulife can be found on the Internet at manulife.com.
- Asset Allocation
- Due Diligence
- Fund Management
- Investment Management
- Legal Advice
- Life Insurance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Wealth Management