Legal - Assistant General Counsel, Executive Director - Asset Management (Hong Kong/ Shanghai)
Location: HK-Hong Kong-Hong Kong-Chater House / 03761
About J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.4 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small businesses, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about J.P. Morgan is available at www.jpmorganchase.com
J.P. Morgan Asset Management (JPMAM) is seeking candidates for a mid to senior level lawyer position in its APAC Investment Management legal team. The position will be based in Hong Kong or the PRC (Shanghai) to provide a broad range of legal support and coverage primarily focusing on the development of JPMAM’s PRC related business initiatives. Key responsibilities include:
Advising business clients on legal and regulatory issues relating to permissible onshore and offshore activities by foreign asset managers servicing PRC clients, assisting with the development, structuring and maintenance of investment products and strategies across all asset classes targeting PRC clients, and all other day-to-day activities of the onshore business.
Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements and documentation to support JPMAM’s PRC related business operations, including constitutive fund documentation, investment management agreement, distribution agreement, third party vendor agreement and other ancillary agreements.
Liaising with PRC regulatory authorities, internal stakeholders and external advisors.
Participating in global and/or regional group legal, compliance and risk initiatives and projects; partnering with internal stakeholders to develop and implement control framework, roll out firm wide initiatives pertaining to the PRC and ensure global best practices and consistency.
Tracking legal and regulatory development and advising business clients accordingly.
Supervising a junior team member and collaborating with the broader JPMC Legal team.
Desired Qualifications, Experiences and Skills
- Qualified lawyers with at least 5+ year post qualification experience in leading law firms or financial services industry. PRC qualified lawyers will have an advantage.
- Good understanding of current legal and regulatory requirements relating to PRC asset management industry and investment products for retail and institutional markets.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Effective collaboration skills. Ability to work under pressure and independently.
- Spoken and written English and Chinese (Mandarin) language skills are essential. Ability to draft and review agreements in both English and Chinese is a must.
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction.
- Asset Allocation
- Asset Management
- Investment Management