Assistant Vice President/Vice President, Debt Capital Markets Lawyer, Corporate & Investment Bank Legal, Hong Kong
Location: HK-Hong Kong-Hong Kong-One Island East / 31141
About J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.4 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small businesses, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about J.P. Morgan is available at www.jpmorganchase.com
The Corporate & Investment Bank (CIB) Legal team comprises approximately 550 employees who provide legal support for all of the CIB businesses around the globe. CIB Legal employees are currently located in 23 countries. The primary function of the CIB Legal practice group is to provide transactional and strategic legal support for the various CIB businesses.
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
JPMorgan Chase is seeking a mid-level attorney in Hong Kong to provide legal support and advice to the Debt Capital Markets business in Asia-Pacific. This position provides an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to build an exciting career in a leading global investment bank and to play a key part in managing legal risks for JPMorgan in a fast-growing region. The successful candidate must have strong analytical and collaborative skills. Depending on the level of experience of the successful candidate, the job title will be Assistant Vice-President or Vice-President.
The successful candidate will be:
- providing legal support primarily to the Debt Capital Markets business
- reviewing, negotiating and assisting with drafting of mandate letters, underwriting and related documentation
- assisting the business with deal structuring and terms from a legal and risk perspective
- advising management and other functional partners on legal and regulatory issues generally
- instructing and working with external counsel, reviewing and negotiating legal opinions and supervising the legal due diligence involving the business and transactions
- developing and maintaining client and service provider relationships, co-coordinating with other risk management areas of J.P. Morgan, including the Compliance department
- providing legal analysis in relation to new business initiatives and products
- participating in product and industry working group calls and meetings
- assisting in the review and development of legal forms, policies, procedures and systems
- participating actively in product legal department initiatives including regulatory review and other projects
- At least 5-7 years’ PQE with experience in working in the region (with a preference for qualification from New York, England & Wales, Hong Kong or Singapore)
- Solid capital markets experience in a top tier law firm and/or financial institution, with a focus on Debt Capital Markets
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with senior business personnel and stakeholders in other functions
- Self-directed and highly motivated attitude coupled with an ability to work effectively in a high performing team
- Relevant in-house experience with comparable financial institutions will be viewed favorably
- Chinese (Mandarin) speaking, reading and writing skills will be viewed favorably
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction.
- Asset Allocation
- Capital Markets
- Deal Structuring
- Due Diligence
- Risk Management