[Janssen] - Associate Manager, J&J R&D and Innovation Communication, Asia Pacific
Location: Asia Pacific-China-Hong Kong S.A.R.-Mongkok
Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based healthcare Company, touching the lives of nearly a billion people every day. Our Family of Companies throughout the world compete in consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets and have the skills and resources to tackle the world's most pressing health issues.
- Division/Department: J&J Innovation, Global Health & Science Policy Communication
- Scope: Regional and key market/local with global affiliations and responsibilities
- Location: Any Asia Pacific location (but preferably co-located with regional communication team leader currently based in Hong Kong)
- Support Asia Pacific R&D and Innovation Communication leader in shaping a comprehensive, integrated regional R&D and Innovation communication strategy for Johnson & Johnson in Asia Pacific.
- Coordinate the communications output and execution for Asia Pacific Medical Sciences, China R&D and Medical Affairs, Japan Medical Organization, and Asia Pacific Innovation Center.
· Support the development, implementation, and management of a comprehensive, integrated Asia Pacific communication strategy, with a prioritized focus on China R&D and Medical Affairs and the Japan Medical Organization as the key components of Asia Pacific Medical Sciences, as well as the Johnson & Johnson Innovation Center.
· Help drive the Johnson & Johnson innovation agenda across the enterprise by integrating the strategies, narratives and plans across a broad spectrum of innovation priorities including—
o R&D and Medical Affairs in the Company’s three sectors (pharmaceuticals, consumer, and medical devises)
o Asia Pacific Innovation Center (based in Shanghai with satellite offices in Sydney and Singapore),
o Global Public Health and Scientific Policy
· Help develop and activate a unified Asia Pacific agenda and narrative for enterprise innovation through key strategic events in the region.
o Support the launch and management of comprehensive efforts to broaden awareness of J&J as a leading, innovation powerhouse bringing innovative, high quality healthcare solutions to patients
o Develop and drive initiatives and multi-media materials that enhance reputation among key audiences by differentiating J&J as a company that puts the interest of patients at the center of its innovation agenda.
o Build new reputation equity for J&J as an engine that powers science and technology – both internally and externally – to become the #1 partner of choice.
o Build an innovation communication framework for use by non-R&D functions to in support of their business objectives
· Support the development and roll-out of a strong platform for senior global, regional and local R&D leaders with a particular focus on China and Japan.
· Work closely with commercial communicators in the relevant markets to create a unified strategy and with the global therapeutic area communications leads to ensure alignment across brands.
· Support the following other externally focused activities:
o Development of key messages for use in media and investor relations and by media spokesperson and liaison with Investor Relations and Corporate Communications.
o identification and development of strategies and messaging for, and management of issues, including issues arising from the brands, the therapeutic areas and public policy, including liaising with legal, commercial, new business development, supply chain, Corporate Communication, Investor Relations, L&A partners
o Management of partner press releases announcing new business deals or milestones in the region, collaborating closely with Business Development, the APAC Innovation Center communications lead, Investor Relations and Corporate Media Relations to develop an integrated communication strategy related to these developments.
o Roll out executive-level influence-building campaigns – focused on key regional JNJ leaders and third parties – to build relationships and authority among key influencers and policy leaders across scientific, global health, public policy and academic communities.
Launch of an integrated
enterprise-level communications program that positions the J&J innovation
centers as a cornerstone of our overall innovation strategy and leverages
regional successes to amplify global dialog and reputation on an ongoing basis.
Identify key factors driving scientific and innovation reputation and
perception among regional external scientific audiences.
· Support the following other internally focused responsibilities:
o Promotion of employee knowledge and understanding of, and engagement with, the strategic vision of J&J innovation. Showcasing and highlighting R&D success, collaboration and talent across the enterprise.
o Development and execution of internal communication strategies for Asia Pacific Medical Sciences, particularly for China R&D and Medical Affairs and Japan Medical Organization, to engage employees and heighten their level of understanding and engagement in the TA’s strategic priorities. Manage regular newsletter contributions, an intranet site, regular town halls, and various further internal initiatives.
o Partnership with Human Resources and membership of respective Senior Leadership Teams on strategies and tactics to engage employees.
o Create strategies and materials that convey the Asia Pacific story to all of R&D, Janssen, Johnson & Johnson and beyond.
· A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Communications, Business or a related discipline is preferred.
· A proven performer with a minimum of 5 years of experience managing marketing or communications plans including internal or external engagements is required.
· A proven performer with a minimum of 1.5 years of experience in driving communications initiatives in the Healthcare Sector is required.
· Exceptional native written and oral English-language skills and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interface with executives and staff is required.
· Experience developing programs from concept through to completion is required. Must have a proven track record in developing and maintaining relationships in a large matrix organization.
· Experience working with and managing agencies and consultants, and managing budgets is required.
· Must have a strong track record of collaboration and strong personal leadership skills.
· Experience in an R&D and Medical Affairs setting is strongly preferred.
· Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers are required.
· Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills
· Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask is required.
· Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
· This position will require up to 10% travel within the region and should be co-located with R&D and Innovation Communications leader.
· Excellent ability to communicate, write and operate in fluent, native-language English.
· Experience working in a regional function and driving an agenda to ensure regional perspectives are taken into account - experience working within Asia Pacific preferred. Ability to work across boundaries to influence and integrate a cross-sector story is required. Experience working in a matrix environment is required. Ability to develop successful working relationships with senior executives is required.
· Demonstrates awareness of healthcare innovation landscape and understanding of key customer groups is required. Experience in crisis/issues management is preferred. Excellent working knowledge of news and social media as well as professional/ trade associations is preferred. Experience managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced and matrix environment is required.
QualificationsPlease see above
- Corporate Communications
- Investor Relations
- New Business Development
- Research and Development