Core Business Services - Legal - Senior Legal Counsel (Litigation - Greater China)
Location: CN-Hong Kong-Hong Kong
The General Counsel’s Office (GCO) is dedicated to proactively support and align with the needs of EY networks, taking responsibility for a successful and world-class execution. The GCO is instrumental in delivering on these commitments through their hands-on, technical legal work, involvement with internal clients, management and leadership qualities. This role is exercised in a manner that exemplifies EY values at all times.
This position reports to the Asia-Pacific General Counsel and primarily responsible for managing legal and regulatory matters including litigation, regulatory investigations and enforcement, advising senior management on contentious matters, liaising with various stakeholders including external legal counsel, regulators and internal clients within the organization.
The successful candidate will supervise, advise on and manage a full range of litigation matters including regulatory investigations and enforcement, commercial litigation, mediation and arbitration, client negotiations and settlements as well as advising on other liabilities and contentious matters. The incumbent will be the key point of contact to senior stakeholders, legal teams throughout the organization and the compliance function.
- Qualified to practice law in Hong Kong
- Strong academics and extensive relevant litigation or contentious regulatory investigations experience; the candidate will have at least 12 years of post-qualification legal experience in Hong Kong and mainland China gained specifically in financial services at a leading private practice firm or in-house financial organization
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Chinese, proficiency in Putonghua is required
- IT proficiency: Word, Excel and PowerPoint familiarity
- The following personal qualities are key to success within the EY GCO:
- Delivery and output – an ability to be highly responsive, reactive and comprehending of a wide variety and volume of business and legal challenges; an effective problem solver with capacity to manage high workload volumes efficiently; recommendations oriented with a focus on execution of projects and tasks; a strong sense of personal responsibility and ownership for the success of a given task
- Managing – the interpersonal intelligence, maturity and authority to guide and influence individuals at all levels (i.e. peers, juniors, seniors, clients, external counsel and clients); exceptional organisational skills and a continuously proactive work ethic; a high degree of personal, professional and cultural empathy and emotional intelligence
- Positive attitude – high levels of personal energy and an appetite for work and success; tangible self-motivation and initiative
- Responsibility for success – exercising leadership and ownership; responsibility for supporting service lines in achieving business growth and protection; risk management tailored to empower the business to be successful in the market; understanding the business imperatives and taking responsibility for their success
- Execution – robust commitments, timelines, follow through and follow up; project management discipline
- Learning – a capacity to continuously identify areas for personal development together with a genuine ability to absorb guidance and feedback, resulting in tangible improvements
- Legal Advice
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Powerpoint
- Microsoft Word
- Project Management
- Risk Management