You may also like
Legal Counsel - Litigation
- Legal Advice
Legal Counsel - Wealth Management
- Legal Advice
- Legal Documentation
Shun Tak Holdings
Legal Counsel Vice President Investor Services-Hong Kong
JPMorgan Chase Bank
Legal - Assistant Vice President or Vice President – Senior Counsel or Assistant General Counsel – Markets & Regulatory Legal Team
JPMorgan Chase Bank
- Equity Derivatives
- Business Strategy
- Contract Negotiation
- Corporate Communications
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Product Management
HK Legal Country Counsel Director
Location: APAC-HKG-Hong Kong-Hong Kong
- Responsibility for the Legal Department with respect to both Citi Hong Kong and Macau.
- More specifically, oversees all legal activity in Hong Kong & Macau, acts as a strategic business partner and key advisor to relevant stakeholders (in particular, the CCOs for Hong Kong and Macau) and represents the firm both internally and externally at the most senior level with clients, government bodies and other organizations. Serves as a member of the CCO’s senior management team. Anticipates, evaluates and appropriately responds to developments in the local and international legal, regulatory and industry environments, and assists businesses to evolve to meet those developments. Has overall responsibility for the country legal team including performance and compensation management and career development. Responsible for staffing and coordinating resources to ensure levels support the required needs.
- Provides support, advice and guidance on sophisticated and highly confidential transactional matters, including, but not limited to, consumer and institutional banking, corporate restructuring, joint venture and mergers and acquisitions and other collaborative relationships with clients.
- Identifies potential business and legal risk factors and recommends alternatives, reviews sensitive internal and external communications materials; drafts and reviews standard agreements with business partners and customers; provides support to management, sales and business groups on contract negotiations; collaborates with Product Legal Counsel in managing legal and regulatory risks in specific product areas; supervises and provides strategic advice on the handling of customer complaints, litigation and regulatory investigations; supervises outside counsel(s) to ensure cost-effectiveness and appropriate allocation of resources.
- Participates in planning and development of the tactical and strategic direction of the business.
- Partners with business/functional line management in recommending, developing and executing business initiatives within permissible legal, statutory and regulatory frameworks.
- Negotiates, co-ordinates and monitors management of complex legal issues. Subject matter expert in area of responsibility.
- A current Hong Kong law practising certificate
Specific Knowledge and Experience
- 15+ years of experience in a law firm or as a senior legal counsel in a corporate setting.
- Strategic insights into current legal and regulatory environment in Hong Kong.
- Legal and regulatory proficiency in supervising and managing legal/regulatory documentation, disputes and regulatory investigations.
- Thorough understanding of regulatory and legal systems in operation in Hong Kong.
Client Relationship/Business Partnership
- Build a comprehensive understanding of the local market, key clients, local market conditions and the capabilities and practices of our competitors.
- Creates and sustains a network of strong partnerships with the business (relationship and product management) and other global functions, particularly decision makers and influencers.
- Experienced in partnering with regional and global colleagues to identify and implement best practices.
Abilities and Attributes
- Demonstrates impeccable ethics and integrity.
- Problem recognition - Able actively to manage risks and to identify negative trends.
- Excellent analytical and structuring skills - Able to manage large volume of deal and situation flow; proficient analytical skills that are applicable across different industries, products and customer classes.
- Coaches junior staff, including challenging their conclusions and assumptions.
- Decision-making and approval: Makes decisions (using well-reasoned judgement), maintains accuracy under under pressure, and responds in a timely manner; identifies and assesses alternatives as part of the decision-making process. Focuses and guides the priorities of others.
- Demonstrates strong leadership. Is dynamic, flexible, and communicative. Able to see the ‘big picture’ in a complex environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Active listening skills and able to voice an opinion which may be contrary to the views of others.
- Demonstrated influencing and negotiating ability.
- Excellent presentation skills – adept at presenting effectively to audiences of various seniority and understanding and adapting style as necessary.
|Career Level||Lead (more than 10 years)|