- Product Development
HK - GF - Legal Counsel
Location: APAC-HKG-Hong Kong-Hong Kong
This position will be responsible to provide legal support to Citi’s Global Consumer Banking (GCB) business in Hong Kong. Citibank GCB business offers a full range of world-class banking and financial services to clients. Citibank serves high-net-worth clients by providing highly-tailored private-bank financial products through its retail platform and helps affluent clients manage and grow their wealth with its unparalleled range of wealth management solutions and products. Citibank is one of the largest credit card issuers in Hong Kong with a comprehensive card portfolio to satisfy the different lifestyle needs of clients.
This is an Senior Vice President (SVP) level position. You will be a senior member of the Global Consumer Banking Legal team in Hong Kong. You will (i) advise on Consumer Banking legal matters with respect to product offerings from the retail bank, credit cards, wealth management and other consumer business areas; (ii) advise on regulatory enquiries and investigations and manage consumer litigation; (iii) provide legal support and guidance to the Hong Kong consumer business team, including senior business managers and control functions, to help effectively manage legal, regulatory, financial and franchise risks; (iv) provide senior leadership and support to the country and regional legal teams.
- Draft and review contracts and agreements with external and internal parties related to retail banking, credit cards, wealth management and other consumer business activities; identifies potential business and legal risk factors and recommends alternatives
- Review and provide advice on product offerings, including product programs, terms and conditions, marketing materials and other relevant customer-facing documentation; ensure business initiatives are within permissible legal, statutory and regulatory frameworks
- Advise on regulatory inquiries and investigations; oversee and manage litigation; supervise outside counsel, including to ensure cost-effectiveness and appropriate allocation of resources
- Provide senior level legal support and advice to the Business, Compliance, Risk and other control functions on regulatory issues, new product development, sales practices, operational issues and other related matters
- Be a senior member of the Hong Kong Country Legal team, providing leadership and working closely with local, regional and global legal counsel on global, cross-regional and country initiatives, projects and corporate governance matters
Professionally qualified lawyer with at least 7 years post qualification experience as in-house counsel at financial institutions or major law firms
Experience in retail banking activities, investment products, consumer regulatory issues and/or interacting with bank regulators
Strong leadership with people management, mentoring and coaching skills
Ability to guide internal clients and business partners to resolve issues in a business savvy manner; sound judgment and discretion; excellent written and verbal communication skills (ability to speak and read Chinese is essential); and strong drafting and negotiation skills.