- Capital Markets
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Risk Management
APAC - GF - Assistant General Counsel Legal
Location: APAC-HKG-Hong Kong-Hong Kong
Legal counsel for Citi’s M&A and Equity and Debt Capital Markets businesses in Asia Pacific, working in a team of 6 lawyers in HK and 3 lawyers in Mumbai.
In particular, the role will involve:
Legal coverage of transactions: acting as internal counsel on M&A and equity and debt capital markets deals across APAC (excluding Japan, India and Australia) jurisdictions. Typical transactions include: IPOs, follow-on offerings, block trades, convertible bond offerings in equity capital markets, and investment grade and high yield bond deals and liability management transactions in debt capital markets. M&A would include both private sales or acquisitions and public takeovers.
Typical responsibilities are:
- Deal document review and negotiation: full suite of transaction documents, such as, engagement letters, underwriting agreements, legal opinions, comfort letters, bond terms and conditions, trust deeds, fiscal agency agreements
- Legal risk management: identifying deviations from Citi standards, or other areas of legal, contractual and franchise risk; escalating to, and assisting in the resolution of such items with, global, regional and country partners in Legal and other functions; clear communication of risks and resolution with business partners.
- Liaising with external counsels: working closely with law firms on episodic transactions and managing law firm relationships.
Internal projects: Working on special projects from time to time, for example, assessing impact of regulatory changes on Citi’s regional or global business, and liaising with global/regional partners to form an implementation plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in law.
- Qualified to practice law in HK, Singapore, UK, or the US.
- 4 to 6 years’ work experience with a law firm, or as in-house counsel at a financial institution, in Hong Kong or another common law jurisdiction, with focus on capital markets and/or M&A transactions in Asia.
- Experience in Greater China capital markets deals is preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken Mandarin is required.
|Career Level||Intermediate (3-6 years)|
|Language||English, Mandarin (Putonghua)|