- Project Management
- Proposal Writing
- Risk Management
Senior Bid Manager
Location: North East Asia-Hong Kong
The role holder qualifies and manages bids of a complex and/or high-risk nature (typically outsourcing, solutions and multi-vendor designs) from initial qualification to successful acceptance by the customer.
- To take responsibility for specific bids, acting as pursuit manager in bid delivery.
- To form and effectively lead the virtual bid team, driving bid activity including the actions from bid meetings and the minutes from BT’s win business reviews
- To act as the single point of contact and communication for a bid.
- To fully co-ordinate sales strategy, technical design, project management and commercial inputs leading to obtaining authorisation in line with current corporate governance.
- Expertly use a number of the bid management methods and tools and best practices for Qualification, Planning, Pursuit and Solution story boards,Pricing,Win themes,Document Production & risk management, in support of complex bids.
- Adhere to the Win Business process and Corporate Governance including completion of Audit trails and documentation held on SharePoint.
- To have excellent writing skills and to use a structured proposal methodology (e.g. Shipley) on all bids.
- To evangelise the benefits of Structured Proposal writing to the virtual teams and leading them with a unified approach to proposal creation (e.g 4 Box Model, Win Themes, Customer Hot Buttons).
- To challenge qualification in a structured manner, identifying any areas of weakness and leading the team to obtain consensus to “no bid” or insisting upon an action plan to address issues/concerns.
- To apply commercial knowledge understand cost and price drivers in managed service solutions as well as effectively manage bid budgets.
- To identify, collate and manage risks identified throughout the Bid process from all functional areas and take part in the production of effective mitigation strategies.
- To be able to articulate a basic 360o Market/City/political arena synopsis, including the customer’s business environment and their competition. To be able to formulate bid strategy using this information.
- Challenge virtual team’s commercial proposition and strategy and if appropriate; develop a customer alternative otherwise escalate appropriately to the leadership team, or bid hierarchy, key issues with bid solution and strategy for resolution.
- Develop customer relationships and seek opportunities to grow BT’s business.
- Develop and manage the interface with suppliers both internal and external for the purpose of producing winning bids.
- Support negotiations at senior levels, within major customer and supplier environments where relevant.
- Attend customer meetings providing support to the sales team where appropriate.
- Present at senior and customer meetings.
- Understand and articulate to the leadership team the bid solution and strategy and how it meets the business and operational needs of the customer
- Articulate the commercial proposition and the deal card during customer and internal meetings where appropriate
- Develop customer relationships where required and represent BT at industry events where relevant.
- Drive improvements in the commercial and bid function through deal knowledge shares and in using continuous improvement methodology
Educated to degree level, relevant job experience.
- Proven track record at a senior level, able to influence at a senior level.
- Appreciation of the relevant technical or commercial background issues, able to understand technical solutions and to question the proposed design.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a capacity to develop and mentor Bid Managers.
- Methodology skills deploying project management principles, and an ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.