- Anti Money Laundering (AML)
- Capital Markets
- Due Diligence
- Know Your Customer (KYC)
Regional AML/CTF Sanctions Compliance Officer
Location: HK-Hong Kong (HK)-Hong Kong
BNP Paribas Overview
The BNP Paribas Group is a leader in banking and financial services, employing over 185,000 people across 75 countries and 5 continents. BNP Paribas Corporate & Institutional Banking (CIB) is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. BNP Paribas CIB, with nearly 18,000 employees in over 50 countries, can offer you an exciting and truly global career.
At BNP Paribas CIB, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realise their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asian offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas has been present in the region for over 150 years and have plans to grow our business from €2bl EUR to €3bl EUR by the end of 2016. With over 8,000 employees in the region and presence in 14 markets, including our 3 main centres in Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo, BNP Paribas offers you the chance to grow with us in Asia Pacific.
In an ever changing world with a continually shifting regulatory landscape, Compliance supports the CIB and RB&S teams globally to deliver award winning products and services to their clients. Compliance sits at the heart of BNP Paribas’ internal control framework and is independent from the CIB and RB&S businesses.
In APAC, the Compliance function is being transformed in order to meet the requirements of a changing regulatory landscape in the Region and globally. We are committed to learning and, through our APAC Campus in Singapore, provide dedicated Compliance training and seminars to ensure our people are kept up to date with changes in regulation and best practices. With the function scheduled to almost double in size over the course of 2015, a career in Compliance at BNP Paribas offers you the opportunity to grow with us in Asia Pacific.
If you are dedicated and want to be on the cutting edge of the changing global financial services sector, a career in Compliance may be for you.
Overall Job Purpose
Increasingly sanctions are being used as a primary instrument of foreign policy and enforcement. Sanctions have a big impact – not only on the countries on which they are imposed – but also financial institutions where financial sanctions are monitored and enforced. In response to this challenge BNPP has implemented a number a measures to limit or eliminate sanctions risk.
This role is responsible for providing Compliance advisory support to Asia Pacific based CIB staff on Sanctions Compliance and Anti-Money Laundering/Counter Terrorist Financing (“AML/CTF”). In particular, the person will be reviewing and advising high-risk customer segments set forth in the CIB KYC Procedures. The person will assist the AML Sanctions Compliance (APAC) in identifying, investigating and escalating transactions highlighted as being suspicious. In addition, the person will also undertake enhanced due diligence on prospects involved in corporate finance transactions; Debt Capital Markets transaction – particularly Issuance; and Structured Finance transactions.
- Provide interpretation on CIB KYC Procedures and other Group AML/CTF/Sanctions policies especially in conjunction with the requirements of the Third European Directive
- Provide advice on sanctions regimes and BNPP Policies on sanctioned countries, entities and activities
- Conduct enhanced due diligence for DCM transactions; corporate finance transactions; and structured finance transactions
- Provide succinct analytical views on sanctions/AML issues in a timely manner
- Liaise with BNPP Legal on contractual management of sanctions/AML/bribery risk
- Assist AML Sanctions Compliance (APAC) in conducting enhanced due diligence review on sensitive clients (e.g. PEP accounts, embassies, clients in sensitive industries (e.g. agri, nuclear, mining)) and where time allows other business groups in the Region
- Assist the businesses in identifying, investigating, and escalating suspicious activity to the Regional Head of AML Sanctions Compliance (APAC)
- Provide advice and feedback to draft BNPP policies, procedures, guidance and other issues
- Work with front, middle and back office staff to ensure that appropriate controls, monitoring reports and procedures are in place to support and monitor any new business/product and that such procedures are as consistent as possible with group standards and group procedures
- Excellent writing skills (English) and analytical skills
- Ability to write concisely and clearly; and to produce clear constructive advice under pressure and within short timeframes
- Excellent communication skills and preferably with some experience of dealing in multiple countries in APAC
- Knowledge of debt capital markets, corporate finance and structured finance transactions
- Some knowledge of the International Sanctions regimes and in dealing with sanctions issues as they affect financial institutions.
- Working knowledge of how AML risks are managed, and clients and products are risk scored and monitored is essential
- Good general knowledge and interest in international political affairs – and particularly the evolving sanctions landscape
- Familiarity with navigating the operational tools which support AML Compliance controls would be preferred
Specific Qualifications Required
- University graduate with relevant professional qualifications (e.g. ICA Diploma of Compliance or Anti Money Laundering, and/or other industry AML memberships/certifications, e.g. ACAMS)
- A legal background is preferred, with experience in handling contracts particularly beneficial
- At least 7 years’ work experience in related areas
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)