The Best and Worst Kinds of Co-workers
The co-workers you find annoying at work… BUT ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?
- The Harvard Grad who can’t stop talking about where he graduated. “Hello! I graduated from Harvard, and my name is Jason!” “Oh, back in Harvard …”
- The CEO’s son’s brother’s second cousin’s daughter. “Watch your attitude. Don’t you know who I am?”
- The colleague who has lots of snacks but never shares.
- Even worse than the one above, the colleague who always takes snacks from others WITHOUT ASKING.
- The colleague who never brings any food to work/ offer to buy snack/ never brings food even when back on a vacation.
- The “foodie” who brings EXPIRED food to work.
- The girl in a miniskirt cutting the line at the coffee machine. The army of interns (us) haven’t finished making our coffee. And what was that look on your face?
- The miser who never pays when going out for a group lunch.
- The woman who talks about nothing but her boyfriend.
- The nerd who has a scary sci-fi ringtone that makes you jump every time.
- Mr Know-it-All : The colleague who pretends he knows everything but does absolutely nothing.
- The smelly colleague who needs to wear deodorant.
- The co-worker who is always “sick”.
- The co-worker who is always not here when the boss is not here.
- The colleague who always farts.
- The sleepy co-worker who always yawns and make weird loud noises when yawning.
- The colleague who always bursts out laughing.
- The colleague who is always super loud on the phone.
- The girl who always wears really sexy clothes at work.
Colleagues who are the best:
- The colleague who is always prepared has EVERYTHING in her locker– tea bags, eye drops, instant coffee, protein powder….
- The colleagues who are your best friends – you make coffee and eat lunch with them every day, you tag each other in memes and you guys are gonna start a company in the future soon!
- The moo who has 4 cats and a big heart.
- The K-drama fan who can talk about Korean drama with you ALL DAY LONGGGGGG. (Setting the Slack channel purpose: kdrama gossips only!)
- The buddy who you leave the office with every day!
How to be a better colleague:
- Take a genuine interest in your co-workers and remember their hobbies and interests.
- Ask them how their weekend is.
- Talk to them once in a while.
- Compliment them – whether it is what they are wearing or the great project they did.
- Hang out together during after work, go trampolining, go to the gym together. BONDING TIME!
- Be sensitive – if your colleague seems to be having a bad day, ask him if he’s ok.
- Be a gentleman – hold the door for the ladies. (Hong Kong and Chinese men don’t tend do that and it’s SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ).
- Guys, don’t, EVER, say comment on your female co-worker’s hair, unless it is a compliment. (“Hey Mary, your hair looks really untidy. Did you comb your hair?”)
All gifs from GIPHY