BlackRock - Legal & Compliance, Transaction Group Attorney
Location: Asia Pacific-China-Hong Kong
Brief Description of the Role:
We are seeking a high quality transactional attorney to will provide legal coverage of transactions and investments across the BlackRock investment platform. This role will have a key responsibility for supporting activities relating to (i) fixed income investments in the APAC region such as direct lending, distressed debt, restructurings, private and public debt transactions, placings, entitlement offers, wall crossings, regulatory advice in relation to inside information, information barrier etc and (iii) assisting in other equity and special situations alternatives transactions. The individual will need to grow and adapt with the fast growing business of BlackRock and be willing to develop new skills and knowledge. The ideal candidate must have the ability to coordinate complex projects and transactions involving different business groups and multiple products (including private equity funds, hedge funds, mutual funds, CLOs, separate accounts, etc.).
· Review, draft and/or manage outside counsel review of investment documentation including loan and security documentation, bond documentation, private placement agreements, cornerstone agreements, shareholders’ agreements, subscription agreements, placing letters, sub-underwriting agreements, representation letters, NDAs, letters of intent, and other similar transactional documentation
· Review, draft and negotiate restructuring support agreements and other applicable workout agreements
· Lead oversight of outside counsel
· Work closely with investment managers and other investment professionals around the world and provide legal advice and support relating to fixed income and equity investments in APAC
· Provide advice and support to internal stakeholders to develop, establish and improve internal processes relating to investments
· Work closely with compliance staff to ensure that the business understands and acts in accordance with best practices for compliance with laws and regulations
· Liaise with regulators and industry groups to lobby for BlackRock’s initiatives and respond to consultation papers
· Take initiative to identify and analyze problems, generate alternative solutions and make decisions with little or no direction/supervision.
· A Hong Kong, English, Australia, Singapore or New York (or other U.S. state) qualified lawyer that is at least 6 - 10 years PQE
· Candidates from high caliber law firms or legal department of asset management companies or investment banks is preferred
· Demonstrable experience in banking and finance transactions (including restructuring and distressed matters) in APAC is essential
· Strong knowledge and understanding of APAC banking, finance and restructuring industry practices is essential.
· Experience advising fund managers and non-bank institutions as lenders, in debt restructurings and in special situations is a plus.
· Strong knowledge of the Hong Kong and Singapore regulatory regime is preferred.
· Experience with Asia banking, finance and restructuring markets or regulatory regimes is a plus (with a particular focus on PRC, India and Indonesia).
· Excellent English communication skills with the ability to build relationships across various internal stakeholder groups at all levels of management.
· Asian language capability is a plus.
Key personal attributes:
· A high level of intellectual agility and creativity.
· Ability to work under pressure.
· Sound business judgment.
· Strong project management skills.
· Proactive approach to lead and direct change.
· Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
· Ability to manage business expectations.
· Exceptional analytical, written and oral communication skills.
· Strong ability to solve problems in a practical manner and to communicate complex concepts in an understandable way.
- Asset Allocation
- Fixed Income
- Legal Advice
- Project Management